This summer, I had some great opportunities to advance my horsemanship, and although I couldn't make all the courses/events, etc I did as much as I could. My husband still has a strong opposition reflex to horses and associated activities, but I'm working on finding a balance point!
Jerry has been out and about with me, to another course at Barbara's with Rachel. We played on the ground, pushing his buttons, and he showed quite a bit of attitude. I see this as progression though, I feel as though he's exploring new boundaries and feeling able to express his personality and views.
I had everything on his back, balls, tarps, etc, and he was calm and accepting even when i was boucing the balls and he was trotting along. However, he still lost the plot somewhat when he thought someone may get on him. There wasn't really a safe place to mount in the field, and although Rachel tried she felt he was too unpredictable and suggested Dave or David Zund/James Roberts to help him progress.
What really struck me was how attached he is to me. He was in the stable when I moved my car and trailer around the barn, and although Helen and Barbara were with him, he screamed a whinny when he lost sight of my car! as soon as I drove back into sight he was wickering away to me.
I took Jerry with me when I went to Shropshire to be Dave's Student. What a week we had.
I learnt how Dave lays a horse down, and the reasons why. It is done for the horse, not the human, and is not without danger for both involved. Dave showed me the technque Ray Hunt taught him last year, where a saddle can also be used to give a bit of extra leverage. Dave laid Jerry down, but in stages, and after I had had time to think it through and assess the risk. Thanks to Steve on this one who really helped me think it through!
One of the important lessons the horse learns is how to move on 3 legs. When I watched Dave with Jerry, I was worried - it was my beautiful boy in the round pen - and i was willing him to go down quickly without a fight. I was amazed that this horse could go from almost on the floor, one foreleg out in front of him, the other tied up, to vertical on his hind legs in one movement. The power and strength of the feelings within him was staggering to see. I also saw a really spirited little dun pony who fought Dave like his life depended on it. He was 7, and had always lived out in a herd. I could see what wild mustangs must be like! Dave took 3 hours one day to get a "try" out of this little guy - they were both dripping in sweat at the end.
Dave rode Jerry 4 times during the week. Firstly in the round pen, and then in the big school, and eventually up the road and round the yard. Jerry didn't give him an easy time. After a couple of bucking bronco style circuits of the pen, Dave decided he wasn't the kind of horse you can just ride the buck out of. I still have the mental image of Dave holding the front and back of his saddle as Jerry careered around. It made me think do i want to ride that?!
I rode Jerry 3 times in the week. Once in the round pen with Dave on the end of the 12' -passenger style, then on the saturaday and sunday in the clinique. The saturday was amazing. I took the time it takes to get Jerry into the right frame of mind. This meant several hours of playing, and stepping up in the stirrups. Then getting the HQ to disengage and a few calm steps forward. I rode him on my own in the school, with Dave giving a running commentry to the audience and instructions to me. It was a bit scary. but the NLP Steve had done with me before I went helped. Jerry is an amazing horse to ride. I thought trot and got it, sat down thought canter and got it, and the same with downward transitions. However, I felt him reading me, like a submarine sonar. I need to be confident enough for both of us, because there's a lot of attitude and he will test me.
Sunday was different. It was raining heavily, and both Jerry and I hate the rain. still we had to do as we were told; Dave got me to mount before he was ready, and with the other horses in the school. I found this a real challenge, and so did Jerry. I had to close him down fast a couple of times, and the other riders were looking very anxious. When Dave said to go out into the park - 3000 acres - I said no, that was enough for me, my confidence had all gone by then.
I was really upset that it ended like that. I felt angry with myself that I couldn't "cowboy up" enough to ride him out, but I knew that I was lacking big time. I understand why Dave pushed me to breaking point, like he said, he's not here at home so I've got to be able to do it alone, and I need to know what to expect, and what to do. I also need to accept that I'm likely to hit the deck. Although I don't want to do that, reinforcing a negitive pattern is my major worry, as he's managed to dump pretty much everyone except Dave, or those who wont admit it! The problem is with a horse like Jerry, and with my current savvy, there's a gap and I feel the need of another savvy person to see the things I can't - like his eyes and hind legs, whilst my leg goes over. Dave tells me to mount him like he's been mounted a million times, but also like it's the first time!. (Finese, balance, timing and feel.)
where do I go from here? I haven't ridden him since then. I came back from the course, and went away on holiday, then I went to Stoneleigh and we did an online course. Jerry was amazing, and the best thing of all was being able to get his life right up so he would go off at a fast canter, reach the fence, diengage, and look at me eyes bright and ears up asking "what's next? No falling off the cliff!!!
Talking to Carmen Zulaf I found out about her mare, who is not dissimilar to Jerry, although not as extreme. Also playing and being more particular with zones and feet made me realise there are some holes around z3, and things I should work on which will help to build confidence in both of us, so that's my plan for now.
Thursday, 22 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment