Monday, 1 June 2009

The Importance of Intention

playing with Maestro this weekend brought this home to me, as I realised that when I had wasn't entirely focussedon what I wanted, it became unclear to him. We were playing with the trailer, I was asking Maestro to trot in. He went up the ramp and stopped a couple of times, no problem -he needs to build up his confidence I thought. We walked away, circled, changed direction, stopped, backup, did some falling leaf, then were back at the trailer again, with me on the opposite side. I asked again if he'd like to go in, but blocked him unintentionally with my arm trying to put the rope over his back. He did what I asked and stopped.

Off we went again playing around, working our way back to the trailer. This time I stood on the ramp, not asking him to go in, and he stepped up from the side to join me- boy did he think he was clever, so did I! We continued playing like this for quite some time, going away and coming back, on, off, over the ramp, then I asked him to go in. He got in with his back legs just inside then came back out straight away. How interesting! Mmmm, was he unconfident? Didn't appear to be, he was trotting up the ramp. What was I doing? Then it hit me - I dropped my life and my intention as soon as I couldn't see his eye. He needed more from me, he needed to feel.

I sent him again, and this time when he paused I thought "forward" and kept a low level life energy, stroked his rump, and gave it a gentle pat and in he walked quite confidently. He poked his nose out of the back, and I walked round and gave him 2 of his favourite treats. Was he in hurry to come out? An LBI who just discovered a sweetie earning trick.. what do you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment